Another excellent ministry that Audubon Park supports is Family Promise of Spokane. This is a nationwide agency that has been providing assistance to homeless families for 25 years. A network of host and support churches has been developed to temporarily house, feed, and provide needed transportation to guest families. Audubon Park became a host church in 2008/9! We open our building to the guest families every twelve weeks for one week and in turn they have a warm, safe place to be at night. The agency also maintains a day center where families have access to storage, laundry machines, and computers as well as support/counseling, job, and housing assistance.
There are seven categories where volunteers are always needed and appreciated(and don't limit yourself to just one!)!
- Unloaders/Loaders of the families' luggage and cots.
- Set-up/Take-down of the families' rooms and amenities.
- Greeters to welcome the families and answer any questions they may have.
- Drivers-Family Promise provides a van but drivers are needed to transport families to and from the Day Center each day.
- Food and Dinner Hosts to provide the evening meal and spend time with the families.
- Overnight Hosts-two volunteers are needed per night to stay with the families in case of emergencies.
- Laundry-at the end of each hosting week bed linens and towels need laundering.
If you would like more information about any of the above listed jobs, please feel free to contact our Family Promise Coordinator, Mel Gantney at 795-6053 or click on this link to send her an email.